[LinuxBIOS] tyan b3992?

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Tue Nov 7 18:30:41 CET 2006

Hi there,

We're about to buy another box to replace our venerable shell server
(fencepost), thanks to a generous donation.

I know there is AMD Socket F support in LinuxBIOS nowadays. We'd like to get
a Socket F board because that would give us hardware virtualization.

If we get a Tyan B3992-based chassis (e.g. this one
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/gt24b3992.html), how hard would it be to
get LinuxBIOS working for that board? None of the new Tyan Socket-F boards
are currently in the tree; is it realistic that this will happen in the
(near) future? I'd be happy to test and shake out bugs to get this board
supported, but we'd have to rely on someone else to do the heavy lifting
involved in getting the board supported - I just don't know enough (yet?)
about this stuff to be able to do it myself. Anyone interested to work on
this board?

We've also looked at the new MSI board, but can't find any systems that use
that yet...

Thanks,
Ward.

--