[LinuxBIOS] Advice for buying a new and not-obsolete workstation?

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Thu Nov 9 14:51:30 CET 2006

On 11/9/06, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> I'm in the UK and would like to buy a workstation that can be 100%
> Free Software, using gNewSense and a Free Software BIOS - ie,
> LinuxBIOS - and am not sure where to turn.

Dave,

This is, as LB topics go, a "hot" one right now.  From the
linixuxbios.org/desktops page: "Currently there is not much support
for cheap, mainstream desktop mainboards in LinuxBIOS. We intend to
change that"

Specifically, some of us right now are trying to figure out which
board meets the following characteristics:
 - Socket AM2
 - nVidia MCP 500 series
 - Widely available
 - Inexpensive

I personally think we will have this nailed in the MSI K9N Neo-F "Real
Soon Now"; waiting for a certain package to arrive in the mail.