[LinuxBIOS] RAM controller breakage?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Nov 11 18:29:04 CET 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 10:54:49AM -0500, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Don't mean to bug you or anything, but I've got a couple more questions,
> if you have the time: did you have to do anything with the southbridge
> code, or is that all set?

I haven't touched the southbridge code yet, but it seems to be supported
already.

And please note, I'm merely writing code currently, I haven't yet
actually _tested_ anything...

> And did you start from scratch, or modify the
> code that was already there?

Both, partly. I don't want to do further cut'n'paste programming,
there's enough of that in the tree already. I started mostly from
scratch and tried to properly document the code. Some parts I'll reuse from
the E7501 I guess, and the real know-how is in the V1 440BX code
(which is working fine for me on my hardware, btw).

> And a final question for anyone, if I were to do a flash and it not go
> well, do failsafes like key combonations to pull a bios off a floppy
> still work, or are those stored in the BIOS?

Won't work, see Ron's post. I have a local svn repository where I
checkin all my proprietary BIOS images, so I won't lose them no matter
how much I mess up.
And I put one or more backups of them on real physical chips, of course.

Uwe.