[LinuxBIOS] Intel 440bx

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Mon Nov 13 08:15:17 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:06:20AM +0100, Shaddam Corrino IV wrote:
> >That's a DIP-32. Could you peel of the shiny sticker and send the
> >part number, please?
>
> Winbond W29C020-90
>
> >I'm not sure there are any non-5V DIP flashes but please check.
> >Size is almost certainly 128kb or 256kb on the board.
>
> It seems it is DIP-32 5V 256KiB.

Yep, certainly is.

> >Older DIP flashes can have funky pin configuration depending on
> >size so you'll want to check the data sheet of your part. If
> >you're not ure how just send us the part number and we'll try to
> > help.
>
> Is this one of those funky models?

Nope, this has the standard pinout.

> >Also, do you know any local electronic component stores that have
> >online inventories? Then we could try to find an equivalent for you.
>
> My idea was to either take (a) the specs of the original chip or (b)
> list of all equivalent (LB approved) models and visit all nearby
> electronics stores.
> Not sure which idea is better.

Really any 5V 32-pin DIP 256 (probably also 512) kb flash with the
same pinout will be compatible. Lots of different chips.

The list of "LB approved" chips would be the list of supported chips
in the utility flashrom, but that just depends on what has been
available to developers since adding a new chip is quite simple with
few if any exceptions.

Here are the candidates: Am29F040B, At29C040A, Mx29f002,
SST29EE020A, SST28SF040A, SST39SF020A, SST39SF040, W29C020C,
M29F040B, M29F400BT from AMD, Atmel, Macronix, SST, Winbond and ST.

//Peter