[LinuxBIOS] SPI flash focus

Drew Lundsten drew.lundsten at ccpu.com
Fri Nov 24 22:39:41 CET 2006

If grounding HOLD# at power-on is working for people so far, that's
great to hear.

The SST datasheet implies that this is not the specified behavior, in
fact my reading is that HOLD# is only sampled on SCK, and with CE# low.
So perhaps it will be necessary to power up with HOLD# grounded by a pin
grabber, then attach the SO8-clip-dongle with the LB/factory image and
reset so the chipset reads from the dongle instead.

If the chipset drives HOLD# directly, though, it gets a little messier;
then it may be best to put a tristate-able buffer on the SO8-clip and
overdrive the mobo's SPI flash signals for the 1-2 seconds needed to
rewrite the whole thing, tristating as soon as the write is finished.
That starts to require a pretty fast interface, driven over a cable, and
now it's a lot messier than simply hotswapping a PLCC chip!

Maybe the cost/complexity is enough of an incentive for people to
improve their soldering skills (and observe good ESD practice).
Soldering a bent-in DIP socket down and loading the flash on another DIP
carrier is <$5 of parts, and you'll need the soldering iron for a more
complex homebrewed programmer anyway.

I myself like the idea of using a USB-capable Cypress PSOC micro (e.g.
CY8C24894) to improve the programming cycle time, while extending the
programmer cable length, but it helps that I already have the eval board
for this one.

Enjoy,

Drew