[LinuxBIOS] 440BX progress.

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Nov 26 19:02:51 CET 2006

> I'm basically using this code in auto.c (based on bitworks/ims stuff):
>
>   sdram_initialize(sizeof(cpu)/sizeof(cpu[0]), cpu);
>   enable_mainboard_devices();
>   ram_check(0x10000000, 0x2000000);
>
> Is that the canonical way to test whether RAM init works?

The "canonical" way is to attach a memory bus analyser to
your board.  Failing that, you can run some stress tests
(like, boot Linux and do some disk+network load on it, or
similar).  If everything works, your memory works, eh?  :-)

> What's the absolute minimum config I need to get _something_ to boot,
> so
> that I can verify that RAM init works?

You can dump out the PCI config space of the memory controller
after its init -- so you can check if that looks good (against
the data sheet).  After that, try a "Hello, World!" payload.
Take little steps at a time :-)

Segher