[LinuxBIOS] Support for recent chipset and powerful desktop CPU

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Nov 30 18:19:11 CET 2006

> What signals can be twiddled at, or soon after, power on?

Stuff attached directly to the CPU; stuff attached directly
to the north bridge; stuff on a subtractive decode path
anywhere further on the I/O fan-out.

> DRAM
> Pro: Easy to make/get/order PCBs that fit
> Con: Not easily accessible without setting up DRAM controller
> (Is this the case?)

Nope; I suggested using the I2C bus only!  Only issue is
getting the correct voltages onto the board.

> IDE
> Pro: Simple 8-bit PIO, easy to interface with
> Con: Needs SuperIO running, at least a little, like the serial port.

Most superio chips don't do IDE these days.

Segher