[LinuxBIOS] Epia Mini-itx And linuxbios!

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Oct 24 08:12:21 CEST 2006

* Kurt André Selbach <kurtandre at gmail.com> [061018 00:00]:
> I recently got my hands on a EPIA-ML8000A board with 800mhz c3
> processor, will it be hard/possible to use linuxbios with this one?

Sounds like it would be doable with a few grips. It's pretty similar to
the other VIAs that are known to be supported (I have an MII-6000e)

> I've tried to browse the mailinglists and found some interesting
> mails, but they all mention problems.

Yes, booting off the CF slot on the MII6000E is always a bit fiddling,
but on the contrary, it does not work without LinuxBIOS at all ;-)

> I am also going to buy a VIA EPIA-MII12000G, Does this motherboard
> fully support linuxbios?

While it is almost certain, I have not tried this mainboard myself, so I

would not want to give a guarantee. But since there are quite some
people on this list interested in making it work, it'll pretty much work
out eventually.

> And can i program the plcc bios chip with this programmer:
> http://www.willem.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=174

Yes, this should work. As an alternative you should also consider
getting yourself a bios savior instead:
  http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior.html

I've been using this device successfully on my Epia board, and it makes
the reboot/reflash cycles really short, while you can leave the flash
chip in the system all the time.
They have a couple of resellers in Europe/Germany that sell these for
~30 eur.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613