[LinuxBIOS] Support for Abit AV8? Suggestion for AM2 board?

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:33:49 CEST 2006

rsmith and I had been discussing that the past couple of weeks. I plan
to just make one, and see how much it costs. The PLCC plug-in
doohickey is always the problem, the cheapest I can find is 30USD (qty
one, small discounts for more). My plan is minimum 8Mb, using a CPLD
for LPC emulation and any one of the various cheap USB
microcontrollers for interface. I will also add port80 decode and
display for myself. I'll keep in mind the suggestions given here, they
could be added later pretty easily (with more cost) What I have seen
so far:

Parallel ROM emulation (with DIP pins to go with it)
Parallel ROM programming
LPC ROM programming
NVRAM storage of the ROM data
device emulation (which could be extended to making the thing into a
little logic analyzer for the LPC bus)

The big hazard to this is that SPI is going to take off as the boot
source soon (it is in most modern southbridges already). Talking SPI
is not a problem, but the ROMs are all going to be soldered down, so
running in emulator mode takes on a whole new level of pain. This
project is doomed to quick obselence.

When done, I would open the design fully, so anyone could build one,
or modify it to their heart's content.

Please reply to me how many of these things you would buy for $50. $75?

Thanks,
Tom