[LinuxBIOS] Support for Abit AV8? Suggestion for AM2 board?

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:08:39 CEST 2006

On 10/25/06, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> After some digging I found a much cheaper source.
> Segor electronics ( http://www.segor.de/ ) sells single PLCC32 plug-ins
> for 14.00 Euro (including 16% german sales tax). Quantities above 10
> cost 11.20 Euro per part. If you're ordering from the US, you can
> get a tax refund (or maybe the tax won't even be applied in the first
> place).

Neat, I'll look into those.

> Wait a second. You mean socketed flash chips won't be present on
> future mainboards? Are there no socketed SPI chips or will the
> ROM storage itself be integrated into the south bridge?

SPI is becoming a darling boot source, it is only 2 wires, and the
ROMs are physically much smaller, but are similar densities to PLCCs.
SPIs right now are mostly SO-8s, and socketing SO-8s is an expensive
thing to do (much more expensive than a PLCC socket). The SPI ROMs
themselves, however, are cheaper than their LPC/FWH PLCC counterparts.
That is what makes me think SPI will take over soon. Maybe that is
wrong, and PLCCs will last 5 more years, who knows. (NAND may also be
a near term option on some southbridges)