[LinuxBIOS] Support for Intel G965 GMCH Chipset?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Oct 31 19:24:31 CET 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:20:36AM -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> I don't want to stop you from trying an Intel port since we get requests
> for newer Intel chips all the time, BUT what you are looking at is a
> pretty tall order.  You need to sit down with whatever vendor you have
> that reps Intel and have a long talk with them about getting the
> required docs with clear deliverables on their part.  I recommend you
> have them list the document names and numbers that they will provide.
>
> A specific question would be to ask them if you can get example code
> that enables the RAM for that chipset.  And make sure you get a copy
> (and read) all errata notes.

The datasheet and errata are here:
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/313053.htm
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/specupdt/313054.htm

Is it common that you need more documentation than that for Intel
chipsets? Are they usually missing important bits?

I might try to look at the 845GE/PE soon, so I'm curious...

As for the example code - I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to get
code from them (even worse, under NDA), as that would probably "taint"
any contributed (GPL'd) code we might later include into LinuxBIOS.
The Intel lawyers could always argue that we illegally distributed/modified
their code or whatever...

Uwe.