[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Sep 1 00:11:35 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:51:23AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> That's the question. Do we want to continue supporting highly expensive
> boards like Tyan where hardly anyone will sacrifice a system to LinuxBIOS
> testing or do we want to reach the masses.

Ideally, both. I guess the corporate contributors will continue to
(mainly) support boards they have use-cases for (which makes sense from an
economical point of view).

For cheap, old, or mainstream boards you can buy in your favorite
computer shop, ebay etc. random interested contributors/coders are
important, IMHO. Given enough such contributors and enough popularity of
the project among hacker-type Free Software users/programmers it won't
take too long to have support for a good bunch of popular boards.

> I'm for supporting slightly outdated systems (like AMD Socket 754/939)
> and against putting any effort into the latest and greatest.

ACK. Although I don't think putting effort into "the latest and greatest"
is a problem, it's just that the older stuff should be worked on, too.

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de