[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS on Laptops.
c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Sep 2 21:16:37 CEST 2006
Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:33:11PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> I'm working on an updated text. Once it is finished (and has reached
>> consensus here), I'll tell you about it.
> Another very interesting issue is laptop support. I know about
> http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Laptop_survey but more information is
> surely helpful.
I'd say we postpone laptop support until we have LinuxBIOS running on
a few cheap mainboards because laptops present additional problems:
* usually the flash chip is not socketed
* video bios is tightly integrated
* superios are different from what we know
* most of the time, embedded controllers have to be initialized as
well if you don't want to kill the hardware
* wrong video initialization has the potential to kill the display
Stories about LinuxBIOS frying laptops are the worst we can get now,
but if we are successful enough in the traditional PC market, maybe
one laptop vendor will get interested, too. And with support from
a manufacturer, porting is a lot easier.
More information about the coreboot