[LinuxBIOS] changes in decompress coming.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Sep 15 16:59:31 CEST 2006

* Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060915 16:44]:
> yhlu wrote:
> > I wonder if you can change CONFIG_COMPRESSED_ROM_STREAM to
> > 0: no compress
> > 1: NRV2B
> > 2: LZMA
> > 3: ...
>
> I tested this idea against several users and they really hated it.

weird. What were their reasons?

Giving it a glimpse it seems rather natural if you have a choice between
X algorithms. So we prefer "wider" configuration instead of "deeper"
configuration?

What makes "deeper configuration" really unlovable is that the current
configuration tool can not represent the above.

What makes it adorable is that the dependencies between the config
variables can not or are not resolved during configuration time now, but
during run time.

So a configuration mistake does not lead to a configuration error, but
to a compile error.

I know "go ahead and fix it" is the deserved answer, but this is
something we want to discuss in more detail for v3

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613