[LinuxBIOS] changes in decompress coming.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Sep 15 18:30:10 CEST 2006

* Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060915 17:46]:
> >I really don't like how vague our config options are.  I am IMed by
> >people all the time asking me what config option such and such does.
> >I have to go grep through the code to figure it all out since I can't
> >keep them straight myself.
>
> if you're grepping code you're in the wrong place. The
> src/config/Options.lb REQUIRES a comment describing the option. There
> are 150 options -- there are 1700+ in linux.

But when creating a Linux .config you have two major advantages:

 - all config options are hierarchically sorted
 - you can get the help in the context of the option you are changing.

> I am attaching the result of
> egrep define|comment src/config/options.lb to this message. What should
> we be doing better? I'm open to any ideas. Some of those comments are
> quite good, e.g.

> but this one:
> define MEMORY_HOLE
>         comment "Set to deal with memory hole"

One thing I notice is the quotation marks. Linux config does not have
that. You are not limited to pack everything in one line there..

> I think it's the lousy config interface. If we had something like
> kconfig, and a <help> button, and (in some cases) better comments, I
> think it would be better.

I also believe we should drop "use". Just have everything exported
always, and write all of them in _one_ file to check if something goes
wrong. And set sane defaults. In the first place, it makes config files
completely unreadable.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613