[LinuxBIOS] v3(?) config [was:changes in decompress coming.]

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Sep 17 02:37:13 CEST 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 06:08:10PM -0600, ron minnich wrote:
> Peter, these are all good thoughts, and I am really glad you are
> coming. Keep thinking.

:)

It's going to be a couple of interesting days for sure!

> >* Global vs. local builds - pros/cons with kernel style (global)
> >build (always produces arch/x/*Image) and LBv2 style build
> >(produces target/x/y/z/linuxbios.rom for each target) Either way
> >the config/build system must be consistently either global or
> >local.
>
> I want to preserve this somehow. I want a place I build stuff and a
> place that sources live, a la BSD. I think the way Linux builds
> kernels into the middle of the source tree is a real mess.

Fair enough. But does the build directory have to be per-target or
would you be OK with fixing the build directory to e.g. build/ right
next to src/ ?

What I like about the Linux build is that there's only ever one dir
that you "make" in, and when make is done it always produces
arch/*/boot/bzImage.

The current structure could be simple too, if the buildtarget step
could be skipped, and there was no need for via/epia-m/epia-m but
only via/epia-m, and that's where you go to make config && make to
get a linuxbios.rom.

> * Support for target variants? Same mobo with/without certain parts
> >populated. Perhaps just sets of default options that can be
> >pre-selected as a base config and then still allow user to change
> >whatever they want. (Kconfig has just one variant per arch,
> >right?)
>
> yes, kconfig has real limits, and we need to see if we can work our
> way around them.

Or maybe we'll extend it?

//Peter