[LinuxBIOS] new to LinuxBIOS (help for nova4899r)

Luis Correia luis.f.correia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 13:16:50 CEST 2006

Hi!

On 9/23/06, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> * Luis Correia <luis.f.correia at gmail.com> [060923 10:20]:
> > There is no ACPI support.
>
> A spectre is haunting people coping with bios - the spectre of ACPI.
>
> In LinuxBIOS there _is_ ACPI support. But not enabled for all boards,
> because it is usually _not required_.
>
> > From what I've read, making ACPI tables is not easy...
> >
> > The board is industrial grade, and it can be found here:
> > http://www.icpamerica.com/products/single_board_computers/5_25_NOVA/NOVA-4899.html
>
> GX1 is basically supported.
>
> > 1) if I don't specify a device in config.lb, Linux will still be able
>
> Depends :-) Some devices are not easily detectable or need
> initialization in LinuxBIOS. Those have to be specified.
>
> > 2) about IRQ sharing, what is the best solution
>
> IRQ routing mainly depends on the wires on the motherboards. It may or
> may not be possible physically.

Let's just say that if I have an additional eth card in the PCI slot,
with Redhat 9 if I get all the ethernet cards up and then it panics
complaining about IRQ's.

Therefore I am assuming there are IRQ related issues :)

> Why do you want to share IRQs. In theory this impacts system performance
> quite significantly and is not required with today's APICs.
>
> Does the GX1 have an APIC?

I have no idea, can't you tell that by looking at the lspci output?

> > 3) is it possible to enable ACPI without having the tables from the
> > factory bios
>
> Yes, definitely. We are not using any factory bios ACPI tables anywhere
> LinuxBIOS.
>
> There is no GX1 ACPI tables available in LinuxBIOS yet, so someone would
> have to write them. Not too hard, depending on what features you expect
> from ACPI.

Well, I would just like it to work... This is a perfect hardware
platform for my router project
<pub>Bering uClibc http://www.leaf-project.org/bering-uclibc</pub>

> Stefan
>
> --
> coresystems GmbH • Brahmsstr. 16 • D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
>       Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
> Email: info at coresystems.dehttp://www.coresystems.de/

Luis