[LinuxBIOS] Using Grub as payload

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Mon Sep 25 03:33:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 11:53:48PM -0400, jameyelgin at aim.com wrote:
> I don't know if this already went out to the list cos I've just
> signed up and I haven't gotten a copy of it back yet so I'm
> reposting...
>
>  Basically, has anyone tried using Grub as a payload...

It wouldn't work well since Grub relies on legacy BIOS interrupt
services AFAIK.

Instead, I'd suggest using FILO.
See http://linuxbios.org/index.php/FILO

> I haven't delved much into this yet but seems to me I would have to
> rebuild a new LinuxBIOS image and flash it if I want to change
> where the kernel is loaded from (partition or filename) or any
> other build-time options.

Yes, that is by design. So far LB has been used mostly in systems
where interaction is undesirable/disallowed/impossible.

>  Also, has anyone thought about putting in some kind of
> configuration utility as is found by pressing Delete or F2 or
> whatever on regular BIOS'?

See above answer.

Please help improving the design though. How would you like a "setup"
to work? What would you like to be able to set? (Give it some good
thought in case you were about to list what your proprietary BIOS can
do.)

//Peter