[LinuxBIOS] Using GRUB as a payload

Alan Mimms a.mimms at f5.com
Mon Sep 25 17:46:50 CEST 2006

We have chosen a different tactic to maintain GRUB compatibility with
our existing products.  We use LinuxBIOS to load kboot, which
environment then runs a modified version of the Linux userland GRUB that
runs the UI for selecting a boot target.  The results are passed back to
kboot which then invokes the kernel/initrd using kexec().

This has turned out to be a pretty slick solution, as our BOOT LOADER
has a full (mini) Linux environment, so we can use VI to edit grub.conf,
load BIOS defaults and update the BIOS right from the kboot command
line.  We get enough of Linux to support USB and network loading/booting
in a first class way.

Does anyone else have this sort of system going?  I would be interested
in exchanging ideas if you do.

Thanks to all of you who have created this fine system - we find it very
flexible and powerful.

Alan Mimms, Senior Architect
F5 Networks, Inc.  Spokane Development Center
1322 North Whitman Lane
Liberty Lake, Washington   99019
v: 509-343-3524   f: 509-343-3501