[LinuxBIOS] lxbios bug?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Apr 23 22:38:18 CEST 2007

* Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> [070423 22:33]:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:11:40PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > Did you ever set the options to reasonable values? linuxbios does not to
> > this by itself. 8)
>
> I see :) So that's what I did wrong. How many of these values are actually
> used by linuxbios? For instance, I had baud_rate set to 1200 and dual_core was
> off; yet the system booted just fine with 115200 baud on serial, and I could
> see both cores on this dual-core cpu board.

The checksum was wrong, so none of the values were used.

It's not you doing this wrong. I think linuxbios should in fact reset
the extended linuxbios range in cmos to the values it has hardcoded as
defaults from the cmos options file.

> I can't really seem to find any documentation about all the settings that are
> possible with lxbios; most seem straightforward enough, but is there
> something out there that describes each field?

No. The wild thing is these settings may be different in each mainboard
and many of them are there because of copy & paste.

>   boot_first = HDD
>   boot_second = Network
>   boot_third = Floppy
>   boot_index = 0xe
>   boot_countdown = 0xfa

I think these are used by some payload. Baremetal toolkit? Etherboot?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613