[LinuxBIOS] Gigabyte M575SLI

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Apr 28 02:09:38 CEST 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:29:18PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> One way to find a shop is to look for game console modification
> shops, they do this sort of thing (and more advanced things) all day
> and should be able to help you for around $50 if you bring the needed
> components. (PLCC socket, resistor, wire and switch) Possibly a
> friendly TV or radio repair shop could help too, but they may not
> have suitable soldering equipment for the surface mount parts.

Nice, can you please add this somewhere in the wiki (GA-M57SLI-S4 howto?)

> > and also, how easy is it to set what would be normal BIOS settings
> > like voltage, cpu multipliers, etc... (For say overclocking a
> > system)
>
> None of these things were originally intended to be user settings,
> so currently you have to hack the source code.
>
> LinuxBIOS is designed to configure the system for optimal performance
> while remaining within safe operation specifications for a particular
> board and configuration. LB determines max memory speed by reading
> the SPD identification EEPROM on RAM modules for example.
>
> The desire to experiment with system performance and overclocking
> should not be overlooked however.. I think it's an important and
> exciting new use case.

Agreed. We should (and probbaly will) make LinuxBIOSv3 much more
configurable in that respect.

> My personal wet dream in this case is for _everything_ to be user
> overridable, but I may be going a bit overboard..

Nope. I have the same wet dream ;) Maximum configurability is a great
benefit of LinuxBIOS (unusual or complex options should be hidden behind
an "expert" button of course, but the options should definatly be there).

Uwe.