[LinuxBIOS] ECS top hat flash - dual-bios-circuit useable elsewhere ?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Apr 29 23:01:02 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:38:44PM -0500, David H. Barr wrote:
> > I'd love to find out more about exactly how this is done.
>
> Probably a lot like the TiVo PROM back-to-back socket.  Basically
> two plcc32 sockets soldered back to back with a few pin tweaks.

Yes, with "a lot like" and "a few tweaks" being the gaps I'd like to
fill. :p

> Yet another variation on dead-roaching or piggy-backing a chip.
>
> "tivo prom piggy" should get you there as a search query.

Not really with a lot of detail unless I registered at the DDB forum.
Oh how I hate forums.

Anyway, at least one of the posts indicated that a trace needs to be
cut, and one wire needs to be soldered. This solves the problem I'm
interested in, but I'm only interested in ways to accomplish the same
thing completely without soldering.

> I've occasionally wondered how hard it would be to have something
> like this manufactured, thereby bypassing the whole TopHat /
> BIOSSavior vendor specific issue.

The BIOS savior is very generic. Some issues may come from the choice
of flash chip inside it, but there would probably be issues on other
boards with another chip if that's the actual cause of the reported
problems.

TopHat I don't know about. I'm interested in Quux' findings! :)

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:44:43PM +0200, Quux wrote:
> the tivo socket has no circuitry at all.

Really? Is there a schematic somewhere?

//Peter