[LinuxBIOS] ICH4 BIOS chip not recognised.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Aug 11 04:20:18 CEST 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 12:26:26AM +0200, Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
> > I use uniflash from:
>
> I tried it, but not much successfully. It kinda work (as an app)
> but it didn't get the needed info. I got this:
>
> (FFFF,FFFF) Flash ROM Chip: unknown
> PCI chipset: Intel 852GM(E)/855GM(E)
> Last write status: not available

It does ID your chipset but it seems the flash chip is write
protected with some unknown GPIO, which makes it impossible to
identify or write the flash chip from software.

You could perhaps identify the flash chip by visual inspection but
that won't allow us to write it anyway. :\

I would really like to set up a sandbox for proprietary flashers so
that we can easily learn what they are doing.

> I don't know how much info could you extract from these lines,

None, unfortunately.

> but I'm afraid there's little to do with this board.

Unless the BIOS chip is socketed and you have a way of flashing the
chip outside of the system. (Using another, supported, mainboard e.g.)

//Peter