[LinuxBIOS] Winflashrom -- Current Status

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:33:04 CEST 2007

Roman Kononov wrote:
> On 08/20/2007 10:05 AM, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
>> According to the official documentation, DPC is running at
>> IRQL_DISPATCH_LEVEL. Nonetheless, I think there is still problem because
>> only one DPC object of one "type" can exist in the system at one
>> instance.
>
> What do you mean by "type"?
DPC objects that has the same "Deferred Routine"

> If you have N CPUs:
>
> Initialization:
> KeInitializeDpc() initializes N DPC objects, each object has the same
> "DeferredRoutine".
> KeSetTargetProcessorDpc() ties each DPC object with a CPU.

I might have made a wrong assumption previously. I thought that a DPC
object that has the same "Deferred Routine" won't be queued twice in the
 system's DPC queue. Nonetheless, this might not be the case for
multiprocessor machine because every processor has its own DPC queue
which implies that DPC objects with the same "Deferred Routine" can be
queued in different processor's DPC queue without anyone of them being
rejected. In single processor machine, a DPC object with the same
"Deferred Routine" cannot be queued twice because the second request to
queue the DPC will be rejected by the kernel.

> PCI Configuration Sequence:
> IRQL is raised to DISPATCH_LEVEL.
> KeGetCurrentProcessorNumber() tells which CPU it is.
> KeInsertQueueDpc() schedules the N-1 DPCs to run. All but this CPU are
> scheduled.
> Spin waiting for the DeferredRoutines to enter phase A.
> IRQL is raised to HIGH_LEVEL.
> The DeferredRoutins are flagged to enter phase B.
> Spin waiting for the DeferredRoutines to enter phase B.
> Do the 3f8/3fc business.
OK, this is parallel port, right? Mine would be CF8/CFC

> The DeferredRoutins are flagged to finish.
> Restore the IRQL.
>
> DeferredRoutine:
> Indicate that the phase is phase A.
> Spin waiting for being flagged to enter phase B.
> Raise IRQL to HICH_LEVEL.
> Indicate that the phase is phase B.
> Spin waiting for being flagged to finish.
> Restore the IRQL.
>
>  This means we need to provide different DPC object "type" for
>> different processor in multiprocessor environment to ensure "atomic"
>> execution of the I/O code which seems to be an overkill and make the
>> system too much loaded.
>
> What is "too much"?
I implied that every DPC objects are being allocated from the kernel
non-paged pool memory which can degrade system performance if we are
overusing it. But, this might not be the case.

>  I found this when trying to code the "DPC
>> approach" in my latest device driver. Perhaps, using a kernel mode
>> spinlock is a better approach. To ensure an atomic execution of the I/O
>> operation.
>
> A spin lock does not help. A CPU, which has acquired a spin lock, does
> not prevent another CPU to mess with the cf8/cfc registers. You need to
> lock all other CPUs.
Yes, locking all of the CPU in a spinlock is what I'm thinking about.
But, there possibly other alternative.

>  Seems to be the DPC approach is not the right solution for
>> this type of problem.
>
> You are the man, you make the decision.

OK, thanks.

Regards,