[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:21:08 CEST 2007

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since we're aiming for broader coverage in LinuxBIOS and related tools,
>> I think we should publish a "Call for Action" which urges interested
>> people to give us dumps of their board configuration etc.
>>

> We had such calls before, and people would send in their board
> information, assuming that this would be enough for us to support their
> hardware. Unfortunately not a single new port resulted from this, though
> many people participated and lots of (unaccomplished) expectations were
> created. So I carefully wonder what the real goal of such a call would
> be, except gathering random people with random boards?

Well, that's how I found this place, and that resulted in one port (so
far) :) But I can very clearly see your point.

> Something like:
> We have 10 people who are willing to work on this or that mainboard if
> you get them a system they can keep for doing the work, given that the
> northbridge and southbridge are already supported... Other ideas?
>
> Stefan

This is a very interesting idea. Once I can get my ******* laptop fixed
and wrap up the cn700 board, I'd love to do a port for Via's new
pico-itx board, but I have no real incentive (or money) to purchase the
hardware. Yes it's an unsupported chipset, but it should be similar
enough to the cn700 that I should be able to work with it.

-Corey