[LinuxBIOS] patch: extending LAR, and removing elf from linuxbios (it is not needed)

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:29:04 CEST 2007

On 8/28/07, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Can't we do that in an easier way? Idea:
> struct {
>         char misalign[1];
>         char magic[8];
> } lar_magic __attribute__ ((aligned(16))) = {
>         0, "LARCHIVE"
> };
>
> That should guarantee the string to be always misaligned.

My personal preference is not to depend on this type of magic. The fix
I posted is really impossible to fail, and we want to guarantee no
failure in this important case.

Stefan's comment about not doing stupid brute force is a good point. I
am at fault for putting that in, but I did that because in the early
days there were bugs in linuxbios LAR parsing code ... we need to take
out the brute force.

thanks

ron