[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 29 09:37:31 CEST 2007

* popkonserve <popkonserve at gmx.de> [070828 20:59]:
> Why trying to support bleeding edge hardware almost nobody has
> datasheets for instead of writing reliable custom drivers that would
> support older hardware.

It takes round about 6-8 weeks to port LinuxBIOS to a completely new
system with new northbridge, southbridge, superio, mainboard.

This is a lot of time, and most ports that actually happen are done
because there is some interest in using a large number of that hardware.

For hobbyist ports, you can boot a single machine a lot of times before
those 5s you safe make up for the 6 weeks you have to put in before it
works.

So most ports have been commercially used in some product, and nobody
planning to use LinuxBIOS today in a product will plan to use hardware
that you can not buy anymore (ie. a mainboard older than a year).

> i'm willing to write more generic full featured drivers
> (northbridge/southbridge) for older chipsets (i posted a list and i'll
> stick to that list).

This is great!

> my problem is not that i don't understand the
> hardware itself but the linuxbios framework. i don't want to spend hours
> of code surfing just to understand how and where certain code sniplets
> are called or how certain config files need to be written.

I want to invite you to help us work on v3 then. The framework got a lot
simpler.

> documentation to the code is close to non-existant. while this might not
> be a problem to long-term developers it drives new ones away.

For understanding the code, this one has generally been pretty useful.

http://qa.linuxbios.org/docs/doxygen/

> what i would like to see is: generic support for usb/cdrom boot,

FILO (soon grub2) should do this.

> ide support in southbridges

..?

> an onscreen menu (nothing fancy)

lbmenu!

> and a far better documentation for users and developers.

I think the big problem here is that as soon as people understand the
code they are too busy to document it ;) I want to give this request
back. Please, if you have a specific question about the code, do
document it. Ask it on the list and document the answer in a way that
others don't have to ask again.

The mailing list contains 70% or more of our knowledge, the rest is
stored in the Wiki.

And we really want to improve.

Stefan

--
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613