[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Rasmus Wiman rasmus at wiman.org
Thu Aug 30 00:08:30 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> skrev:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:33:34PM +0200, Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> > > I disagree strongly. There is definately a point in supporting
> > > older hardware as well
> >
> > On the other hand, have a look at e.g. the Asus M2N-MX/DVI2.
>
> Some can not afford to pay anything for hardware. Or put another way,
> hardware that comes for free is always cheaper and often more
> attractive than hardware that has to be payed for - no matter how
> cheap the price.
>
> I'm thinking recycling of older machines.

Certainly, (right now I can't afford any new hardware) but one problem
with stuff that comes for free is you don't know what you get. Which
means there has to be support for lots of old MB:s for there to be a
decent chance that the stuff you actually get is supported. Sure,
generic BX support is probably a very good thing since they were the
best you could get during almost the entire PII/PIII era, so there are
lots of them around.

But I still think stuff that's still being sold is a better bet. Even
the cheapest modern hardware outperforms the PIII by far, and I know
that I can get the stuff at once if I want it. I can get an M57-SLI-S4
tomorrow if I have the money. But there are motherboards that cost half
as much, have integrated vga and even the price of mb plus cpu end
up costing less than the mcp55 cards alone. Then you need a vga card in
the MCP55.

/Rasmus