[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Aug 30 00:39:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:28:23AM +0200, Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> when I can afford it, I will buy a new MB with integrated vga,
> probably the one I think stands the best chance of getting
> supported. Right now I think that would mean NVidia or VIA, but
> I know rather little about it.

Aha! I think there is a slight misunderstanding.

"Integrated" graphics are not really any different from discrete
graphics as far as LB is concerned. Neither better nor worse.

There are two graphics chips supported natively in LB, they are the
ATI Rage XL and the Trident Blade3d. I've only heard the former
confirmed working.

Luc has generously offered to also add support for the VIA Unichrome
graphics hardware when he finds the free time.

Rage XL is discrete, as is Blade3d. Unichrome is built-into the
CLE266.

> But my main motivation is that if there was a MB with a "Works with
> linuxbios" sticker on it, and it didn't cost too much I'd buy it.

I'll say M57SLI.

//Peter