[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 13:35:47 CEST 2007

Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Just for the record; if you buy an M57SLI now, it's a new revision
>> with SPI rom chip. The second position is still unpopulated, but the
>> paths are now also SPI, no longer PLCC.
>>
>> I have one of these at home :/
>
> I read about that, yes. What does it mean? Different sockets? No
> sockets at all? Impossible to flash?
>
> /Rasmus

Same problem here, my M57SLI has been at the computer shop for over one
week awaiting the modification.

They say the socket that I got is wrong, (PLCC32).

Will the SST 49LF040 be wrong too.

The BIOS chip is a tiny chip soldered on long legs, where the factory
chip was.

Is the modification now wrong?

Chris Lingard