[LinuxBIOS] M57 SLI SPI pads

todthgie todthgie at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 21:17:01 CEST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rasmus Wiman" <rasmus at wiman.org>
To: <linuxbios at linuxbios.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 16:17
Subject: Re: [LinuxBIOS] M57 SLI SPI pads

> Quux <pawn2be.wild at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>> there are SPI  sockets out there in industry, but less common &
>> probably pricey. plcc32 is much more commonplace.
>>
>> but then soldering 8 contacts might seem less risky to do manually
>> compared with 32 contacts.
>>
>> the 1.0 pcb layout has solder pads for plcc as well as SPI (located
>> inside of plcc ). is this still the case with 2.0 pcb revisions ?
>
> From the picture it looks like there is only one set of pads. Sure 8
> contacts seem easier to solder, but I like the idea of having one
> factory bios stuffed away in a safe place, away from the mobo and that
> seems easier to achieve with a socket. :)

how about:
- unsoldering the factory part.
- soldering a 8 pin ?0.05"? pitch connector it its place
- soldering a mating 8 pin connector to any chip you want to use
- maybe add pushpins for easyer handling.

i did not yet look for the right connectors but they mus be out there...
i  would start lloking at smd connector for connecting 2 parrallel pcb's

Greetings
Todthgie