[LinuxBIOS] Infamous __stack_chk_fail problem.

Steve Isaacs yasteve at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 00:29:47 CET 2007

When attempting to use buildrom I'm seeing the " undefined reference to
`__stack_chk_fail'" message. I see that this was a topic of discussion
back in January but haven't found anything to say how or if this was
resolved. At the risk of scratching an old itch I have to ask if this
was resolved or if a solution to the problem is still needed.

I'm building on Ubuntu 6.10 which installs a gcc configured for stack
checking. I know about the -fno-stack-protector option when compiling
and have used this as a work-around but I'm thinking that if this was/is
a problem then other host distro dependent issues perhaps will or still
be lurking to catch someone.

Is it a viable solution to have buildrom build a cross-tool chain? Imho:
This would be best in order to have repeatable results. Having config
options to control the gcc and binutils versions cross-host build
repeatability would be improved.

Steve