[LinuxBIOS] Infamous __stack_chk_fail problem.

Steve Isaacs yasteve at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:32:22 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 18:08 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:

> However - I want it to remain optional rather than a requirement,
> so that the entry level stays as low as possible for as many as
> possible.

I agree. A fully native build should be supported for when it's
appropriate and to keep the startup checklist shorter.

Actually, entry level for me jumped rather high because of my use of of
a distro that installs a compiler configured for using stack checking as
a default. I was faced with either installing my own toolchain or
modifying the build for LinuxBIOS or switching distros. Note that's a
distro issue, not a toolchain issue. With the toolchain builder already
integrated I'd have changed my config and moved on rather than
potentially accumulating overtime dealing with this issue. For me,
distro variations -- not compiler bugs -- have been the biggest problem.

I'll toss this on the table as a possible approach to a solution:

- Buildrom be enhanced to --optionally-- download and install in a
user's sandbox a toolchain builder.

- Problems found in the toolchain builder be fed back to the toolchain
builder project thus satisfying Jordan's point of having a
responsibility to fix the toolset when broken. Crosstool builders often
employ target specific patches when necessary.

- Configuration options be added to buildrom to select whether or not to
build native or use cross tools (yes, this is a cross tool environment
since I'm building on a host for a target of a different architecture).

- Additional options be added to control the cross-tool version to build
(both for buildrom and the cross-tool builder itself).

- The cross tool builder config utility be used for control of toolchain
versions and other options.

The obvious question is which toolchain builder? I might suggest using
crosstool (by Dan Kegel) which has been widely used in the embedded
world. This has more recently been revised into crosstool-NG which adds
a menuconfig style interface. I like this because it would be visually
and functionally consistent with buildrom. I'm unsure as to the status
of either of these but they look promising for this purpose. Comments?

Other distro and embedded build systems exist (and several use
crosstool) but I would not recommend integrating LinuxBIOS into any of
them for obvious reasons. I'm sure others would agree that it is not in
the best interest of LinuxBIOS to have it driven by the requirements of
another project.

Steve