[LinuxBIOS] Qemu compile for LinuxBIOSV2

Marc Karasek Marc.Karasek at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 3 21:18:08 CET 2007

I think I have found the problem.  It is related to the patch Ed sent.

The new LD looks like it automagically turns on the --build-id option.
I have not found out how turn it off.

When this option is used it generates the   .note.gnu.build-id section.
When this section was discarded in the first ld pass (linuxbios_rom.ram
creation) it was causing the segmentation fault crash.

It looks like this same option is being called again when crt0.o is
linked to create linuxbios.  I have added the .note.gnu.build-id section
to the .id section in the ldscript.ld file.

SECTIONS {
        . = (_ROMBASE + ROM_IMAGE_SIZE - 0x10) - (__id_end - __id_start);
        .id (.) : {
                *(.id)
                *(.note.gnu.build-id)
        }

This has gotten me past the second crash but now linuxbios.strip is
crashing.

nm -n linuxbios | sort > linuxbios.map
objcopy --gap-fill 0xff -O binary linuxbios linuxbios.strip
objcopy: linuxbios.strip: Bad value
objcopy: linuxbios.strip: Bad value
make[1]: *** [linuxbios.strip] Error 1

So this does not look like a ld problem, but an added feature to ld is
causing us grief.  If anyone can figure out how to turn this option
off,  that may fix all of this without any patches... :-)

Marc Karasek
MTS
Sun Microsystems
mailto:marc.karasek at sun.com