[LinuxBIOS] Flashrom support for NVidia MCP51?

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 6 20:23:07 CET 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 14:17, Shocky wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2007 13:49, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > On 30.11.2007 05:25, Shocky wrote:
> > > Now that I can build and run flashrom, I get:
> > >
> > > Calibrating delay loop.. OK.
> > > No LinuxBIOS table found.
> > > Found chipset "NVidia MCP51", enabling flash write... OK
> > > generic_spi_command called, but no SPI chipset detected
> > > No EEPROM/flash device found.
> > >
> > > I see on the supported devices list that NVidia MCP55 is supported, but
> > > mine is "?". Anything I can do to help get it supported?
> >
> > Why do you assume it is not supported?
>
> Good point. I guess "?" means unknown. I guess the "Found chipset...OK" is
> encouraging.
>
> > > I don't know what type of flash chip I have, or for that matter what
> > > type of
> >
> > We need verbose output from flashrom.
>
> Okay. See attached.
>
> > > m/b. It's an HP Pavilion dv2412ca laptop. I haven't been able to figure
> > > out
> >
> > Ah, a laptop. Laptops usually need additional tricks before they
> > cooperare on the flash side. If verbose output from flashrom doesn't
> > yield anything obvious, I suggest you don't try further.
>
> That's not so encouraging 8^(. I'd really like to make this work, even if
> it requires some serious effort. The thought of reinstalling Vista just to
> be able to flash my BIOS just fills me with revulsion.
>
> I am a developer. My expertise is not in C, and not in drivers, but I like
> to learn new skills.
>
> > Regards,
> > Carl-Daniel
>
> Shocky

I guess you didn't find anything useful in the flashrom verbose output?

I did manage to get my BIOS flashed through another route: I remembered I had
an old XP machine around someone gave me, so I used that to build BartPE, as
Frederico Silva suggested. This is roughly equivalent to a live cd for
Windows. This plus HP's flash utility on a USB key did the trick.

I'd still love to be able to do it in Linux, but at least my immediate problem
is solved.

Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.