[LinuxBIOS] Question about QEMU & FILO

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:04:46 CET 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 10:57 AM, Marc Karasek <Marc.Karasek at sun.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get a system up using QEMU.  I have compiled LinuxBIOS
> with Filo as a payload.
>
> I followed the steps on the wiki about making a harddrive image,  I had
> to make it a bit bigger than 200M though.
> When I "boot" the system,  it finds the kernel and the initrd image, but
> then when it gets a bit further it seems to have a problem with finding
> the harddrive image to boot from .  Although it has already fetched the
> kernel and initrd from the image.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Waiting for driver initialization.
> Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-sda2
> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=SWAP-sda2)

This is a linux error message. Your are now in initrd hell. You are
missing the modules you need to load the drivers for the hardware.

The problems start above. Everything else after is of no real use,
since you are dead at this point.

I am attaching a script I used to generate a very generic initrd with
lots of drivers, including USB drivers; we use it when we boot usb
root file systems. It's a useful example and it's small.

ron