[LinuxBIOS] TOPSEARCH TS-M-8V01C

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Dec 12 15:07:06 CET 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:04:17PM +0100, Cimino Vittorio wrote:
> LinuxBiosV3 (latest snapshot)

Look like v2. There's no support for via hardware in v3 yet either.

> SouthBridge : VT8231
> NorthBridge : VT8601

..

> This can be a VIA/EPIA compatible Motherboard.

Unfortunately it's not enough for a board to use the same major
components to make it compatible.

> When system start LinuxBios don't find the memory.

Right, because the boards either aren't compatible, or because our
RAM init code for the chipset is not generic enough.

> Slot 00 is empty
> Slot 01 is empty
> Slot 02 is empty
> Slot 03 is empty

No RAM.

> Copying LinuxBIOS to RAM.

So this is of course nonsense.

> Jumping to LinuxBIOS.

And this will indeed hang since the CPU will only be fetching bogus
instructions after the jump.

Please do help work on the RAM init if you can. It would be great
to make it more generic if that is possible. Note that this is
usually the single most difficult part of LB. But if you can help,
that would be much appreciated! :)

//Peter