[LinuxBIOS] VGA help under QEMU

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Thu Dec 13 21:50:15 CET 2007

> I am trying to boot LinuxBIOS using qemu with VGA support.  I have got
> both V2 & V3 to boot with a FILO payload and the linux test disk image
> from QEMU website using the -nographic option.
>
> I can boot the disk image using qemu and the bios & vgabios it came with.
>
> I cannot get it to come up with either V2 or V3.  I have tried copying
> the vgabios.bin image to a local directory and then booting qemu with
> the -L ./ option.  I see the initial QEMu messages a blank screen
> appears that looks like the VGA output and then it goes down to a small
> block on the screen.
>
> I have compiled  V3 with x86emu support.  Under V2 I could not figure
> out how to get it to compile with VGA support.

Under v2 I just used the default config in buildrom and made sure that the
ROM file from LinuxBIOS and the vgabios*.bin files were in the same
directory.  It hangs during the boot, but not because of the VGA.  I'm
looking into it more.

For v3 I get the same thing you do.

I started qemu with "-L BIOS_DIR hd.img"

Myles