[LinuxBIOS] VGA help under QEMU

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 23:01:23 CET 2007

my apologies, it was a big going-away lunch and I am now sleepy.

I just did a build with latest v3, built a 256kb bios, copy it to a
directory, run qemu as follows:
qemu -serial stdio -L . -kernel linux-2.6.15-bochs/vmlinux -hdc hda -hda hda

and I get video.

I am using the vgabios-cirrus.bin

Option ROMS are run in Phase 6.
Mine looks like this:

Phase 6: Initializing devices...
Phase 6: Root Device init.
Phase 6: PCI: 00:00.0 init.
PCI: pci_dev_init
Probing for option ROM
Phase 6: PCI: 00:01.0 init.
Initializing realtime clock.
RTC: Checksum invalid zeroing cmos
Invalid LinuxBIOS CMOS checksum.
Phase 6: PCI: 00:01.1 init.
Enabling IDE channel 1
Enabling IDE channel 2
Enabling Legacy IDE
Phase 6: PCI: 00:01.3 init.
Enabling SMBus.
Enable Power Management Functions
Phase 6: PCI: 00:02.0 init.
PCI: pci_dev_init
Probing for option ROM
ROM address for PCI: 00:02.0 = c0000
PCI Expansion ROM, signature 0xaa55, INIT size 0x8c00, data ptr 0x0038
PCI ROM Image, Vendor 1013, Device 00b8,
PCI ROM Image, Class Code 030000, Code Type 00
Copying VGA ROM image from 0x000c0000 to 0xc0000, 0x8c00 bytes
Phase 6: PCI: 00:03.0 init.
PCI: pci_dev_init
Probing for option ROM
Phase 6: PCI: 00:04.0 init.
PCI: pci_dev_init
Probing for option ROM
Phase 6: Devices initialized.

When I look at yours I see an error:
Phase 6: PCI: 00:02.0 init.

PCI: pci_dev_init

Probing for option ROM

ROM address for PCI: 00:02.0 = c0000

PCI Expansion ROM, signature 0xaa55, INIT size 0x8a00, data ptr 0x736f

PCI ROM Image, Vendor 0846, Device ec89,

Device or Vendor ID mismatch Vendor 0846, Device ec89

see the mismatch? So it will not run the rom. The option rom does not
match the hardware .

What vga bios are you using? I hope to wake up more soon and might
actually give a useful answer :-)

ron