[LinuxBIOS] SMBIOS tables or alternate.

Steve Isaacs yasteve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:39:19 CET 2007

Because of a need to be compatible with other systems I'm seeing a
requirement to support SMBIOS tables. I did some quick searching and
didn't find much regarding this subject on the LinuxBIOS web site or the
source code.

Specifically, the _SM_ pattern (SMMBIOS spec) needs to be embedded along
with DMI blocks such as System Information (0x01), Base Board
Information (0x02), System Encloser or Chassis (0x03) at a minimum. The
commandline utility dumpSmbios (or similar) would be used to retrieve
this information.

>From an application perspective this is important information. The same
application needs to run on platforms having different BIOSes -- some
commercial, some LinuxBIOS. The hardware type and version information is
important for maintaining and deploying the application. Because of
this, the application needs a consistent mechanism for retrieving the
information I listed above.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks,

Steve