[LinuxBIOS] problem about dram init

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Dec 20 17:38:00 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:42:33AM -0500, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Weird, I've never seen that problem. Do you have any other dram modules
> you can try? Can you send me the specs (or a link to the datasheet would
> be best) on the module you're currently using? I have some comments I
> need to put in about some important bits, but haven't had the time or
> ambition lately to do it. Eventually those bits should be set up
> automatically, but I'm running up against ROMCC's limitations.

There are some other tricks like disabling/removing debugging stuff
etc., but one thing that helped me on some other board is a
different -mcpu option for romcc, e.g.

  action  "./romcc -mcpu=p2 -O -I$(TOP)/src -I. $(CPPFLAGS) $(MAINBOARD)/auto.c -o $@"

Without the '-mcpu=p2' I get 'too few registers', adding it fixes that
problem. Depending on the CPU/chipset values other than 'p2' might work.
Basically, it allows romcc to use more registers, I think, but I'm not
a romcc expert, just guessing...

HTH, Uwe.