[LinuxBIOS] Port V1 -> V2

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Feb 22 12:37:31 CET 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:43:50AM +0100, ccases at navista.fr wrote:
> >> I wish to carry out the same thing but for the motherboard
> >> advantech/pcm-5823,
> >> he exist in v1 but not in v2, all the chip is already listed in V2
> >> except the
> >> winbond W83977AF.
> >> Can someone point me in the right direction ?
> >
> > If you already have the hardware to test with (bios savior or extra
> > chips) try creating a target and using winbond w83977tf (ie just tell
> > linuxbios that's what it is).

Yes, that should work. Both are very similar and the serial ports
have the same logical device numbers so you should be fine.

> > From a quick look at the source, it
> > doesn't seem there is anything that should block it from working. Even
> > if it doesn't work, but everything else works, VGA and USB should still
> > work, unless a failed superio causes it to hang, but again looking at
> > the source it doesn't seem it should. You just won't have any serial or
> > PS/2 ports until you do get it working.
> >
> > -Corey
> >

> Yes I have a chip programmator. I don't understand if it's possible tu use
> the source of v1 en test it directly (on the web for the v1 it are noted
> like nonfunctional), or if I must modify the files to function with the v2

I recommend to try v1 first, just to verify that/if it works
there, then you can concentrate on v2.

You cannot use the v1 code as is for v2, though. It must be ported. But
the code is pretty small and porting should be doable.

> For me if the VGA, the USB, and the network (rtl8139c) work it's sufficient.

First you should test whether the super I/O works, i.e. if you get
serial output. That's esential for debugging.

Then you need to get the northbridge (RAM) working, then the southbridge
(for peripheral devices, e.g. network, USB)...

Uwe.