[LinuxBIOS] Cheap self-built BIOS saviour for 8M/16M parts?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Feb 26 03:37:42 CET 2007

> Simply use two chips of the same model, connect all of their
> pins except ID[0], wire ID[0] of each of the chips to one side
> of an intermediate switch which is connected to Vcc and GND
> on the other side.

You'll need a pull up/down resistor on that line
probably.

> * a way to drive RST# to GND without shorting the board

That's what diodes are for ;-)

> * serious soldering skills to solder two chips to each other

Two sockets, some wire / PCB.  Soldering them
directly together would be very fragile.

> Sounds nice?
> Surely there's a catch. It can't be that easy, right? Tell me!

Well you've got the basic idea right, there are some
details to get right though, as always.  Things can
be slightly different per kind of chip and per board,
too, be aware of that.

Segher