[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBios on Asus K8N-DL

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 00:54:18 CET 2007

Pieter Vande Wyngaerde wrote:
> First of all
> I am new to the concept of mailing lists
>
> I first heard about LinuxBios at Fosdem 2007
> I missed the talk, but i watched the video afterwards
>
> I have a Asus K8N-DL mainboard.and i was wondering if I could run
> LinuxBios on it, its not listed on the wiki, but most parts are
>
> it has a Winbond W83627THF-A  Super I/O chip which according to the wiki
> is supported
> it has a PMC 49FL004T (-33JC) Bios Flash chip which is also supported
> it has a Nvidia Crush K8-04 Professional Bridge which i also think is
> supported

Yep, all your parts seem to be supported (Crush K8-04=ck804, in lb).
Don't count on your backup bios though, unless there's a physical switch
on the motherboard for jumping to the backup. I think you'll find that
the backup bios is triggered by the boot block of the primary bios,
which linuxbios overwrites.

You'll need to write a target for this also. I'd suggest starting with
the tyan s2892 code, as that board is the same chipset and dual k8 cpus,
and then modify it to fit your needs. You'll probably need to write your
own acpi tables, there's a half-decent howto on this in the archives
(you can search them on gmane), or else mptable.c and pirq_table.c,
which can both be generated with utilities in the utils directory
(whether or not they work right is another story). There's a patch on
Trac for the mptable util, apply that first as it fixes a few little
issues that otherwise need to be patched up afterwards.

Best of luck, and post back if you have any more questions.

-Corey