[LinuxBIOS] Intel 440bx

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 06:48:01 CET 2007

Al Boldi wrote:
> Corey Osgood wrote:
>> Al Boldi wrote:
>>> What I can't understand, why does v1 work whereas v2 doesn't?
>> Probably because the code currently in the svn looks for the vt8601, and
>> attempts to program the wrong registers :-p
>
> I still don't get it.  What's the big difference between v1 and v2?

No one ported the 440bx from v1 up to v2. Instead, someone copied the
work that was done on via vt8601 into the i440bx folder probably with
the intention of porting that, but never got to it. And the way v1 and
v2 work are very different, not to mention the coding styles. In v2, we
try to avoid assembly code as much as possible, keeping almost strictly
to c. v1 otoh has lots of assembly. not to mention that the file
structures are very very different, just compare and see for yourself.

>> And btw, there's a big
>> difference between another set of eyes catching something and just being
>> stupid.
>
> Agreed.
>
>>> Can you post a working v1 tarball link as well?
>> http://www.openbios.org/viewvc/trunk/LinuxBIOSv1.tar.gz?view=tar
>
> I downloaded this once, but it did not compile with the current
> distributions.  Has this been updated now?

Use an older compiler, newer gcc versions don't seem to like it. I think
I used gcc-3.3 on ubuntu. OTOH, compiling v1 is of very little value: we
know it works, and we have the code, that's all that really matters.

BTW, I'm having some trouble with uwe's raminit.c, it seems like
everything's working right, but the final northbridge dump shows all
DRB's still set to 0x01. PCI (and hence vga) is also not working, but
that's much less important.

-Corey