[LinuxBIOS] help from ubuntu and FC6 experts

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jan 24 17:10:27 CET 2007

>> So you should just try it out somewhere in your build system --
>> gcc -fno-stack-protector -S -xc - < /dev/null -o /dev/null    or
>> something similar, grab the return code -- and that's all you need
>> to do.
>
> we'd always managed to avoid this kind of ugliness, but I guess we
> have no choice.

Indeed.  This hurts many more projects btw, not just us.

> What's going to get interesting is when the form that this test takes
> gets broken by the various distros :-)

The test isn't distro-specific; but I'm sure *some* distro
(Gentoo?  ;-) )  will break it.

> Some expert person want to try out a fix? If not, I guess I will.

With Kbuild it's really easy (just copy the one-liner from
the Linux kernel code); but for v2, you'll need to do a
little more work (but you can use the same mechanism, of
course -- copy on of the cc-option macros and you're fine).

Segher