[LinuxBIOS] Winflashrom -- Current Status

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:48:48 CEST 2007

Hi,
Peter Stuge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 04:17:51PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
>
>> The diff for the latest winflashrom code is attached.
>>

> The diff is reversed, so a bit hard to read. Please do svn diff
> -r1:HEAD next time.

ok :)

> Also, instead of commenting out non-Windows code and adding new
> Windows-only code, please suggest good ways to abstract the code.

Basically, I'm in the process of designing the abstraction right now
;-). I'll post it when I'm done.
Nonetheless, I need a "working" code as a comparison to know the details
of the "incompatible" parts
between the windows version and the *NIX version.

>> There are still a few issues with this code.
>>
>> 1. I've tested it on ICH-5 board. However, the BIOS binary that it
>> reads from it is 514KB. It should be only 512KB.
>> I'm still trying to find out the bug. Any info from ICH-x code
>> maintainer?
>>

> This is probably because Win32 does LF->CR+LF translation when the
> fopen() mode is "r" or "w" - Win32 introduces "rb" and "wb" for
> binary files.

aha.., I see. I forgot about it :-/. I've fixed such a bug when porting
flashrom version 1.23 back then ;-).
Thanks for the hint.

>> 2. The PCI library is still a "brute force" approach. But, it works
>> so far. I'll remove it soon enough.
>>

> Please make this a high priority. Until this is fixed, the driver is
> a bluescreen waiting to happen and we can't really responsibly ask
> people to test it that way. :\

yes, it's on the top priority list right now.

>> More updates to come.
>>

> This is good stuff!
>

> On another note, is it possible to load the driver directly from a
> resource without writing it out to a file first?

I don't know that for sure. But, I'll try to find out. Maybe using
memory-mapped file would allow us to
do such a thing.

Anyway, I'll be off for about 4-5 days. So, updates will come only by
next week.

Cheers,
Darmawan