[LinuxBIOS] another question for cs5536

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Jul 7 21:26:28 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:55:37AM +0800, Songmao Tian wrote:
> Actually, we are using a non-Geode CPU(in fact it's a mips varient). I
> understand the situation, luckily I got
> helps from all of you:), thanks again.
>
> Perhaps I will try to port the LinuxBIOS, but if so, I have to port
> another payload(I am looking into grub2, any other sugguestion?)

GRUB2 is being worked on as part of Google Summer of Code, so that
should work soonish...

If you want to port LinuxBIOS to MIPS (which would be great!), please
start with LinuxBIOSv3, which is still in early development stages but
is a _lot_ better and easier to handle from a development (and user!)
point of view.

Other than that, the "typical" payloads in LinuxBIOS are FILO (to boot
from disk, for example) or memtest86 (for testing the RAM setup while
developing). I don't know whether either of them support MIPS (guess not).

> and u-boot is another good option.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this, too. But doesn't u-boot do pretty
much the same we do in LinuxBIOS (just for other, mainly embedded boards)?

Or can it be configured to basically _not_ init the system (and leave
that part to LinuxBIOS), but only provide a "shell" of some sort for
configuration stuff (sorry, I haven't yet played much with u-boot).

Uwe.