[LinuxBIOS] PATCH][LAR] Allow user to specify pathnames for create and add

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jul 12 02:58:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 05:50:10PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > "lar script"
>
> I was definately thinking about going that direction.  In fact, I
> talked to Stefan about it at OLS.  It wouldn't really have to be a
> script - Stefan has been thinking about creating a MANIFEST file
> when we extract the LAR that lists the blobs and where they are
> located - we could use the exact same format on the input side too:

I say just print it to stdout on extract. The filenames (on disk)
will obviously always be homogenous on extract, but lar could have a
-C option like tar to relocate from cwd. Pathnames are always
straight from the larball.

> # MANIFEST
> # Filename	    pathname		algorithm
> /root/my.payload    normal/payload	lzma
> bootblock	    bootblock		-
>
> (As an example).

Yeah, I guess the GMTA principle says this is the way to go.

The one-line-per-file is slightly problematic in that it makes
whitespace instead of : be reserved in filenames. :\ (Because the
filename needs to be there twice it's not possible to just put the
algo first and use the rest as filename.)

And I prefer "none" over "-" for no compression. Bikeshed though.

> This might actually be better for buildROM - then each target that
> builds a blob for the LAR would just echo the line into this file -
> thats probably cleaner then something ugly like
>
> LAR_BLOBS += $(SOURCE_DIR)/$(GEODE_VSA):vsa
>
> Which is what I'm doing now.

Sure, the manifest is certainly nice for scriptability. I'd like it
to be readable from stdin too. Maybe you can use some clever here
documents in buildrom then.

//Peter