[LinuxBIOS] PATCH][LAR] Allow user to specify pathnames for create and add

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Jul 12 17:03:07 CEST 2007

On 12/07/07 13:10 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> [070712 01:50]:
> > # MANIFEST
> > # Filename	    pathname		algorithm
> > /root/my.payload    normal/payload	lzma
> > bootblock	    bootblock		-
>
> Do we really need to distinguish between filename and pathname? I don't
> understand the difference here, unless it's a copy operation instead of
> an archive. Back when we invented lar, we thought about making all
> matches via the filename. So I think pathname is an idea to go away from
> that fixed mapping again...?

Actually - pathname *is* the fixed mapping.  The filename:pathname scheme
is to bridge the gap between a real world filename (like say, filo.elf),
and the mapping within the LAR that LinuxBIOS understands (normal/payload).

> I'd rather define file types rather than pathnames?
>
> Or is the pathname such a filetype, and the name is just ambiguous?

Sure - we can use the term filetype if you want.  Pathname is a little
bit more descriptive, since the LAR can technically hold arbitrary blobs
of data - what ever the loader needs ('vsa') comes to mind.

But its just a term - I would be happy to use filetype if thats a better
way to think about these things.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse